Sunday, January 22, 2006

Two beautiful things:

#1) Last Sunday I went for a walk in the woods on this mountain bike trail that takes you kind of south of the monastary and branches off in about 8 different directions. I was meandering along and stumbled upon a lone Christmas tree - all decked out in tinsel and garland and handmade ornaments. A little worse for wear, but still hanging in there in the middle of January, in the middle of the woods.

#2) Yesterday I was second-hand shopping with Emily. We were scrounging for costume jewelry and whatever else struck our fancy at the Cornerstone Thrift Store. The place has little funding and just moved in some shelving units donated from another store that closed recently. All the shoes are now nicely paired up on shelves that are labeled "Non Fiction," "Romance," and "Novels."

I guess you could say I'm easily amused. Perhaps that means I'm simple minded. Regardless, I think I've got an advantage over people who don't care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I enjoy the world a lot through your eyes. I've said before, I think Kurt Cobain did pop culture a disfavor by making it seem bad to be easily amused. Life is much more entertaining in the mindset of a 10-12 year old.

That and I have to wonder how the deer managed to pilfer or manufacture those ornaments and decorate that tree, all without the use of opposable thumbs. The Christmas Spirit is strong in these ones.