Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Today I moved into my new office. My first ever office. Prior to this week, I have used my home (no internet), various coffee shops (great, but not a single decent one open year round in the towns I live or work in most often), my car (no room for a file cabinet...also no mailing address) and various hiking trails throughout the Black Hills (tough to explain to the boss) as office space. So, though it scares me a bit to have a single, designated location at which I am expected to be much of the time, (I had a job like that once before - I'm so over it) it will probably be good for me. It will hopefully help me structure my time a bit more. And, save me about $30/week in coffee money.

After we got all my stuff moved in - which is not much, at this point - I sat down (in a wooden, kitchen table-type chair, because I don't have a desk chair yet) and...wondered, "What do I do next?" Since I'm not really sure what people with my job actually DO with their offices most of the time, I decided to start with the obvious. Decorate.

And then I remembered that I don't really have a budget for decorating an office right before Christmas. So I just sat there for a bit and looked out the window - which happens to look right out on the Mickelson trail - and realized that I might need to board up the window...or I'll just end up back on the trail, calling it my office again...

No comments: