Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I have a bad case of wanderlust...

Now playing in theater #1 (i.e. the family room) "My Little Bro and His Two Best Friends Road-Trip to Cali Last Summer: The Complete Documentary." They went to Zion, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Lake Meade, and Golden Gate Bridge National Parks. They were on the road for two weeks. My senior road trip consisted of Steph and AJ and I spending 5 days in a little cabin at Rafter J Bar campground in Hill City. We were on the road for...oh, about 25 minutes, each way.

Now, don't get me wrong. We had some good times on that "camping" trip. We biked the Mikelson Trail, fished in Sheridan Lake, fought alot about who had the better outdoor cooking skills, purchased my most prized material possession at a antique/junk shop (a 7 foot suit of armour - $200) and played cards with campground maintenance boys. But still - road trip? I commuted farther to school three days a week last semester.

"Why," you may ask, "the downscaled trip?" And here is the answer. Because AJ and Steph and I are girls. That's why, if I remember correctly. There was a bit of financial limit, as well, but I'm pretty sure that even if we had had extra money, our parents wouldn't have let us take off. Of course, they were just looking out for us. Which is probably good, since we had (read: I have) a tendency to think that I'm invincible. And when I have daughters, I probably won't let them head for California with their friends when they are 18 either. Nonetheless, I don't think I've entirely gotten over that whole situation yet. I still resent my parents for it...just a teeny tiny bit. Which is my explanation for why I wake up every morning and have to remind myself that I have responsibilites and commitments and bills to pay, and can't just run off on little jaunts here and there.

I really shouldn't be worrying about it right now, though. I'll be out and about plenty over the next couple of months. But as of this minute, I'm just itching to go somewhere. How about Disneyworld? Or New Mexico? Boston? Patience Marci, patience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wanna go to new york? how long have we been planning that one? hmm...long time, we'll have to make sure we do it sometime, when we're both single and have enough money. Ha, like that'll ever happen! I mean the money part, the single part's not hard.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I never had to deal with that kind of restriction. And yeah, I'm dying to travel too. Not in the forseeable future for me, so at least you've got a shot :-\